Friday, October 17, 2008

 

Neighbors Who've Moved On

For a brief period of time we shared the neighborhood with a wise woman. She was wise in many regards, and her specialty was gardening. She was writing a book on the subject of gardening, having taught it for many years both here on Maui and in Alaska.

One day we were standing in front of my home chatting when she looked over at a tree of ours which is in our front yard.

"That tree needs whacking," she said.

Horrified of whacking a tree, I simply raised my eyebrows.

"Yes, can't you see where someone has whacked it before?", she asked me as she pointed out what looked like knife marks on one side of the tree.

I could see them alright, but I never would have imagined someone would be whacking our tree.

"Go outside at night when no one is around with a large knife and give it a couple of good whacks," she counseled me.

I considered doing as she said because this whacking was supposed to help my tree which wasn't then in bloom, but I just couldn't make myself do it.

Then she moved away, and our tree is full of beautiful, red blossoms as in the photo above.

I've wondered if she came over one night and secretly whacked it.

Just as a gesture of love, of course.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?