Thursday, April 26, 2007

 

Thursday Thirteen And Quotes by the Dalai Lama


Yesterday was the second day (and last day) of the Dalai Lama's historic visit to Maui. I've covered more about this visit to Maui in my last two posts, so if you'd like to read more about his visit, check out the last two posts. Today I'd like to focus my Thursday Thirteen on thirteen of my favorite Dalai Lama quotes from his talks and teachings:

1. His Meditation Advice "....in your life, unless you make specific time for something that you feel committed to, you will always have other obligations and you will always be too busy".

2. "I always have the feeling that I'm just another human being."

3. "You must not procrastinate. Rather, you should make preparations so that even if you did die tonight, you would have no regrets. If you develop an appreciation for the uncertainty and imminence of death, your sense of the importance of using your time wisely will get stronger and stronger."

4. "The point that has to be borne in mind is that the reason why reflection on suffering is so important is because there is a possibility of a way out; there is an alternative. There is a possibility of freedom from suffering."

5. "In Buddhism in general, a lot of attention is paid to our attitudes towards our rivals or enemies. This is because hatred can be the greatest stumbling block to the development of compassion and happiness. If you can learn to develop patience and tolerance towards your enemies, then everything else becomes much easier--your compassion towards all others begins to flow naturally."

6. "In fact, the enemy is the necessary condition for practicing patience. Without an enemy's action, there is no possibility for patience or tolerance to arise. Our friends do not ordinarily test us and provide the opportunity to cultivate patience, only our enemies do this. So from this standpoint we can consider our enemy as a great teacher, and revere them for giving us this precious opportunity to practice patience."

7. “Women have a special capacity to lead us to a more peaceful world with compassion, affection and kindness. And there is no more important time for that than this moment.”

8. “It is the nature of human beings to yearn for freedom, equality and dignity. If we accept that others have a right to peace and happiness equal to our own, do we not have a responsibility to help those in need? All human beings, whatever their cultural or historical background, suffer when they are intimidated, imprisoned, tortured or discriminated against. The question of human rights is so fundamentally important that there should be no difference of views on this.”

9. "What I believe, according to my own experience, is that a calm, peaceful mind is a very important element for sustaining the body in a balanced way. When you lose your temper, immediately you feel uncomfortable. Eventually, you lose your digestion and sleep. You have to rely more and more on tranquilizers. So, whether you are a believer or a non-believer, the peaceful mind in daily life is very, very important."

10. “Our rich diversity of cultures and tradition should help to strengthen fundamental human rights in all communities. Mere tradition can never justify violations of human rights. Thus, discrimination against persons of a different race, against women, and against weaker sections of society may be traditional in some places, but because they are inconsistent with universally recognized human rights, these forms of behavior should change. The universal principle of the equality of all human beings must take precedence.”

11. “Remembering the kind influence of my own mother, I pray that women working for inner peace and, through that, peace in the world, may be blessed with success.”

12. On Homosexuality: "If the two people have taken no vows [of chastity], and neither is harmed, why should it not be acceptable?"

13. "On the global level, I think the ecology problem is very serious. I hear about some states taking it very seriously. That's wonderful! So this blue planet is our only home, if something goes wrong at the present generation, then the future generations really face a lot of problems, and those problems will be beyond human control; so that's very serious. Ecology should be part of our daily life."

***************

I wish to recognize and express "Mahalo Nui Loa" to all those who contributed time, energy and money for the visit of the Dalai Lama to Maui including Lama Dhondup, Georgiana Cook, Lama Gyaltsen, Shep Gordon, David Sacco, Peter and Cathy Baldwin, David and Donna Lee Singer, and Haidai. Of course, there were many, many more involved, especially the hard-working volunteers at the events.

To get the Thursday Thirteen code, click here.




Technorati Tags:, TT,,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Wow, what a wonderful, wise man. I agree with so much of what you shared of his teachings... just mind-blowing.

Happy TT and thanks for visiting West of Mars! I hope you'll come back again.
 
Very thought provoking! Thank you for sharing.

Happy TT - and thanks for visiting me! =)
 
deer kuanyin,
thank u fer vizitin mi blog an leevin such a nice messaje.
i'm justa cat but i liked #2 da best "I always have the feeling that I'm just another human being."
sumtimez i feel like maybe i'm a d-o-g! i dunno.
pleez vizit me again. i will be vizit u!
luv--yer frend--jh
 
#7 was really beautiful...I agree! :) Wonderful TT! Have a great week!
 
Can't say I agree with everything, but there are definitely some good points there.

Thanks for your comment on my blog
Sunny
 
Thanks so much for sharing the Dalai Lama's philosophy and the details of his visit. I agree with all he says...
 
Namaste! Great list of quotes from a man of Grace!
 
A very interesting set of posts. It's nice that you were able to attend the event. (Plus the meeting you had in '06)

Much thought provoking wisdom there.
 
You are lucky--what wonderful quotes. I am glad it lived up to your expectations. There are some beautiful sayings here--.
 
dI love your list! Thanks! So may I ask you to explain the meaning behind bad feng shui w/ the dried roses? I'm interested. Thanks for visiting.

http://mitchypoo777.blogspot.com
 
How very lucky, and what fabulous timing. Actually every day is a good day to hear him speak - such a gentle soul.
 
Love # 7

Great list

Aline
 
I absolutely love your blog! This Thursday 13 was one of the best. I love quotes that are inspirational.

Maui is on my list of magical places to see. I'll list it in the future on another T13

Thanks for the visit.
 
The Dalai Lama is a very wise man! I especially like quote #7.
 
What a beautiful post and a very wise man. I've often thought more people need to listen to what he has to say. Our world would be a much better place.
 
That Lama guy, what an interesting outlook on life. Thanks for visiting my T13.
 
I definitely agree with number 6... some of the others....
Oh well, Happy TT13!
 
The Dali Llama rocks. I think he's wonderful. I've always admired him.

Great list, happy TT!

Thanks for dropping by mine.
 
Excellent TT! Thanks for sharing these Dalai Lama quotes. I love #7 as well as mamy others do!
 
Great TT! Beautiful! Gives you a lot to think about.
 
So enlightening! Thanks so much for this.
 
Very nice TT. I'm glad you enjoyed his visit. Thank you for sharing his wisdom and thoughts with us.

My father-in-law passed away in October and the funeral was Buddhist. The monk said something that I thought was quite beautiful. He said that life was a circle and there was no beginning or end, so my father-in-law's journey continued on in another plane. This explanation took place in Japanese, so I may not have understood it all correctly, but the sentiment really stuck with me.

Thanks for stopping by!
 
What a wonderful idea for a blog and T13...well done!
 
Excellent idea for a TT! The Dalai Lama is an admirable and wise man.
Thanks for visiting my TT!
 
what a special thing that you've experienced. I didn't even know he was visiting Maui!
 
This is a wonderful post. The Dalai Lama is extraordinary. His writings have helped me to rediscover the value of my own faith, Christianity. He brings out its relevance in this world. Thanks for great info.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?