Monday, April 23, 2007

 

The Dalai Lama Arrives On Maui Tomorrow


And trust me...this island will never be the same! Already the traffic on the roads has increased dramatically--I'm guessing because of the many visitors arriving just to lay eyes upon the beloved Dalai Lama. Since this is the very first time His Holiness the Dalai Lama has come to Maui, the excitement and buzz on Maui is growing stronger by the day.

Here's the editorial from yesterday's Maui News April 22nd Sunday Edition.

As I mentioned in previous posts, for those that aren't on Maui, or unable to attend for many reasons, there will be a live webcast here on Tibet Fund.

If it weren't the Dalai Lama, I would certainly have many second thoughts about dealing with the throngs of people, the traffic, the heat, the sun, and the waiting. All of these conditions will be very challenging and will require everyone to be patient, loving, and kind.

Here is a great quote by the Dalai Lama (from his great book "The Art of Happiness") which we will all need to remember in the next two days:

"If you maintain a feeling of compassion, loving kindness, then something automatically opens your inner door. Through that, you can communicate more easily with other people. And that feeling of warmth creates a kind of openness. You'll find that all human beings are just like you, so you'll be able to relate to them more easily. That gives you a spirit of friendship. Then there's less need to hide things, and as a result, feelings of fear, self-doubt, and insecurity are automatically dispelled."

Since no one is allowed to bring along any recording devices, cameras, or video equipment, I will post each day from memory about the events. Check back in to read all about The Visit!

The photo used to illustrate this post was taken by me at the main temple of His Holiness at McLeod Ganj (Dharmasala, India) in March of 2006.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I haven't read much about him, but every time I've happened to see a quote and once or twice saw him interviewed I thought: this is a truly impressive human being.

I'm not much of a fan and don't follow "celebrities" at all, but this is one of the few public figures I know of that I'd be willing to say interupt my lunch to go see!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?