Sunday, December 10, 2006

 

Movie Review of "The Holiday"



Admittedly my movie taste doesn't fit with the major movie-going population as I'm averse to downloading gory, bloody, horrifying, or terrifying images into my subconscious through a movie. Thus, I avoid LOTS of the more popular movies, and my taste in movies runs to funny, kiddy, adventurous (I look away for the scary segments), and romantic. Usually the movies I rave about which have given me my money's worth are given less than "hot" reviews by the movie critics. Witness the review given my favorite new movie "The Holiday" on Rotten Tomatoes:

"Just in time for the yuletide season, "The Holiday" provides a sugary treat for fans of chick flicks. Perhaps, say critics, a little too sugary. "The Holiday" tells the tale of two women who live on opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean; unlucky in love, they decide to swap houses in order to jump-start their lives. Love ensues. The pundits say the film has undeniable charm and a great cast, but is as predictable and fluffy as the day is long. It currently stands at 50 percent on the Tomatometer."

So much for what other people feel is worthy!
I'm gonna advise those of my ilk, my tribe and my tastes to go see "The Holiday". Our three-some laughed, CRIED, and walked out of the movie feeling GREAT! Isn't this what movies are supposed to do to you? Uplift? Inspire? Make you feel bettah and forget your life for a little bit of time? The reviews by movie reviewers of this movie would make us "The Simpletons." Maybe we're just not hard-core like them and prefer not to be terrorized and brutalized after paying good monies!

Even though it's an ensemble cast with great performances by Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Jack Black, Eli Wallach, and even Dustin Hoffman in one scene, I feel Cameron Diaz steals the movie with her bravado and yes....cuteness! When did "cute" become a put-down as it is with MOST movie reviewers? Give me a break!

I won't give the movie away to you, but this is the word I wish you to pay attention to in the movie: GUMPTION. This word sums up the Movie Of The Season for me where most of the other movie offerings feel dark, dangerous, and deplorable.

Technorati Tags:, movies,,


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?