Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

Beach Trivia Of The Day


I'm sitting comfortably in my beach chair at the beach-- a Sunday ritual-- with my daughter when she becomes very thirsty. Today was a hot, sunny day, and we had already finished off our water. She decided to run to the local store to get us something more to drink, and she asked me what I wanted. I said, "Surprise me!" I like surprises for the most part...especially the REALLY good ones.

She returned later with two bottles of Snapple Lemonade, and we were back in the thirst-free zone once again. Inside the bottle cap of Snapple, there is a fact. My fact inside my bottle cap read: "Real Fact #83 Googol is a number (1 followed by 100 zeroes)" Hmmmm....immediately dollar signs raced through my head! Whenever I think of zeroes, somehow I associate zeroes with large amounts of money. This seemed like a good omen from a bottle cap on a Sunday afternoon. We have to take our omens wherever they show up, right? After all, omens come to you on their own timing and own accord.

Upon returning home, I decided to do more research on this word Googol. For some reason, it sounded suspiciously like Google to me. So I went to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, to check it out. On the second page of the print-out, I discovered that my suspicions and intuition were on the money, for here is what was written: "The Internet search engine Google was named after this number. The original founders were going for Googol, but ended up with 'Google' due to a spelling mistake on a cheque that investors wrote to the founders."

Here's more trivia I discovered about this new word for me:

"A googol is precisely as far from infinity as is the number one."--Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"Googol was the answer to the million-pound question on when Major Charles Ingram allegedly defauded the quiz show on 10 September 2001."

And last, but not least, "In one Peanuts strip, Lucy asks Schroeder what the chances are of them getting married, and Schroeder responds "about a googol to one."

I guess it's about time I became acquainted with this INFAMOUS, timely word.

Technorati Tags:, Google,,


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?