Wednesday, May 03, 2006

 
His Holiness the Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 for his work in promoting peace and peaceful solution. He is the kindest man, extremely wise, learned, gentle, astute, sweet and very, very powerful. Spending time with him was like a sweet dream. I think I was in an altered state during the 45 minutes the four of us spent with him. My right contact slipped off my eye (something it never does!), and later in my hotel room, I found it curled up in the back of my eyeball.....very strange! By the time the Dalai Lama was close enough to look me directly in the face, he may have noticed my eyes didn't match! :-)

The Dalai Lama was born on July 6, 1935 in a small farming village of Takster, and following a nationwide search for the Dalai Lama, he was recognized as the reincarnation of his predecessor, the Thireenth Dalai Lama. He was then brought to Lhasa and formally installed as the head of the state of Tibet on February 22, 1940. He has said that this is the last lifetime of the Dalai Lama incarnations. With the situation hopeless for Tibet, he escaped by crossing safely into India on March 31, 1959 where he was given asylum. Approximately 80,000 or more Tibetans eventually followed him into exile, some barely escaping with their lives. There have been many stories shared of this perilous journey over the Himalayas from Tibet into India.

His Residence in McLeod Ganj can only be entered after you have been approved for a private audience with his Secretary, and then you are thoroughly searched before being allowed to enter his private quarters which are behind a big gate opposite the Tsuglag Khang or the Central Cathedral. During the time I was there and at the beginning of his Teachings, this normally fairly quiet courtyard fills with thousands of monks and others coming to hear the Teachings, and you are crunched like a sardine in a mass of marroon and saffron.

It was requested that I ask His Holiness to remember to come and visit Maui on his next visit to the Hawaiian Islands because last time he was here in the Islands, he only visited Oahu and the Big Island. I did so, and I also asked him to bless some gifts I had purchased for friends. He did so by touching his forehead to the package and items which I held out for him.
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?