Friday, September 03, 2004

 
Probably one of my least favorite things to do in the whole world is to shop for a new car, especially if it's not my new car. The high-pressure salesmen and the "Sales Game" just isn't for me, but several days ago I had to undergo this tortuous experience. I haven't had to be in this car-shopping situation for a long time, and I'm quite happy about that. When I buy my next car, I may buy it over the net just to avoid the "Game" live in person. My partner and my daughter are both shopping for new cars, and both of them have specifics that they are looking for in a car. So between the two of them with their definite desires, car shopping is a long drawn-out drag. Bob wants his new car to have windows that open and close a certain way, while Gen refuses to drive in a car that is too low to the ground. It makes her feel claustrophobic. And their lists go on and on....

Nevertheless, I went along with Bob to spend many hours test driving, haggling and looking under the hoods of cars. B., our salesman, was a native Hawaiian, big and buff. He was obviously suited to the job of car sales person as he was calm, perserving and very knowledgable...plus he didn't let Bob get him down. If I was a car sales person, I would probably want to strangle most of the people that I had to try and sell a car. People that can't make quick, decisive decisions drive me crazy,test my patience... and thus, I am not cut-out to be a sales person. I can cross that one off the list for careers.

Having a car (or other wheels) to cruise around Maui is one of THE great life rewards as Maui offers incredible, beautiful scenic views at every turn. The traffic hasn't turned into a nightmare like over on the neighboring island of Oahu, so cruising or traveling to and from work is a pleasure. Both Bob and Gen drive a lot because of their occupations, and thus, a car is a very important part of their working lives. Thus, they both put a lot of miles on their cars, and with the cost of gas being super high (the highest in the Nation it has been reported), there never has been a better time to get a car that gets good gas mileage. Both of their cars are gas hogs. Hoping that more hybrids would come on the market and come to Maui, they've been patiently waiting, but now this scenario doesn't look as if it's going to happen right away. Thus, they are attempting to determine which cars really will give them the best gas mileage for the monies. There is talk of a new fuel source on Maui that will be able to fuel certain Jeeps. With the miles both of them put on their cars, this may turn out to be the best option if indeed this new fuel and corresponding Jeep comes on the market before their old cars fall apart.



Actually,
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?