Monday, June 14, 2004

 
We passed the final inspection on the home renovation today! Oh Happy Day! And even more amazing was that today is Earnie's birthday! Earnie is the inspector that Bob and I have gotten to know through his many calls upon us in his inspection ritual. So I asked Earnie what he's going to do to celebrate on his birthday, and he answered with a grin, "Make someone like you happy!" I loved that!

I have always liked Earnie...there is a twinkle in his eye that nearly matches the twinkle of the diamond in his ear. But today was the day that I finally had the opportunity to talk story with Earnie because no one else was around. He shared with me about his wife, his children, his grandchildren, his dreams, his life! His family goes way back...maybe fourth generation Maui! His ancestory is Japanese/Portugese, and he lives in the local section of Maui: Wailuku. He even has a daughter the same age as mine. It is wonderful, soft people like Earnie that make me love living here. The locals, especially, are such beautiful soft, loving souls. They grew up here, and the ones that haven't succumbed to drugs are very special beings. Is it something in the air, the water, the land, the close-to-heaven vibe here? I dunno....but I do know that even with the challenges that come with living in these blessed isles, there are more benefits and blessings!

When I say 'soft', I mean soft as the highest compliment. The edges on one have vanished, and one has integrated the harsher elements within themselves. One isn't owned by agendas and timetables. One slows down and appreciates. It's the island way. And oh the mana that then flows through one!


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?